Jayden is officially 1 week old today in the “real” world. By that I mean out of his mother’s womb, as I feel like he has been alive for a lot longer and I have been talking and interacting with him for much more than a week.
Whilst in the womb, I guess I would loosely liken that to life in The Matrix. Everything seems okay and there are no troubles and you don’t know any better. There is no crying, nappy changing, feeding and we get uninterrupted sleep!
In the “real” world though, which is the past 7 days for Jayden and I. It has been a real eye opening experience. Things aren’t as happy and easy as they were whilst he was still in The Matrix.
In the past week, these are some of the things I have discovered:
- I thought I was well prepared for Jayden’s arrival. No matter how prepared you think you may be for parenthood, you will never be 100% prepared. The sooner you accept this, the sooner you come to terms with the fact that you are learning and adapting on the fly.
- I actually need sleep. Prior to having Jayden, I used to stay up till 2:00am on most nights and either watch Foxtel, play PS3, and sometimes even work. I tried my usual sleeping routine and it DID NOT WORK… I am not as energetic as I first thought and waking up for all those late night feeds and nappy changes does take a toll. So I’m sleeping a lot earlier now and napping when I can during the day as well even if it’s just for an hour.
- Poo and pee wash off easily. After changing numerous nappies now, I think I am immune to the poo and the pee already. I knew it would happen, but not this soon. It’s good though as it makes me a much more efficient nappy changer (especially in the early hours of the morning).
- Newborns love a good wrap! (although I’m sure a bit of Eminem wouldn’t hurt them too much either at this stage of their lives :P) They teach you how to wrap in pre-natal classes and in hospital. I realise how important it is now to give your baby that safe feeling and how powerful a good wrap is as a settling tool/technique. Jayden seems to like the “Love to Swaddle Up” swaddle. He likes sleeping with his arms up beside him and he seems to settle very quickly when he has this on as opposed to muslin wraps or other types of swaddles. I particularly like the “Love to Swaddle Up” swaddle as it also allows me to change him by unzipping from bottom to top to access his nappy.
- Bath time is not fun time. I thought it would be! I thought all babies loved the water… even with the small towel over his chest to soothe and calm him, Jayden cries and squirms making it super hard to give him a good wash.
- In-laws can be both heaven and hell. I’ll talk more about this in another post, but so far it’s only been a week and they have been over very often and as much as I appreciate their help, I think we need some breathing space.
- I love him to bits! Everytime I look at him I smile 🙂
I’ll keep it at that for now. It’s been 1 amazing week and I can’t wait for what lies ahead!